There are many different aconyms relating to the megasquirt engine management systems which can cause some confusion for those new to these ecu’s.
This page aims to help clear up some of that confusion and highlight the differences between the various options.
The Megasquirt ECU’s comprise of four main parts:
- Mainboard. This is the main part of the ecu. It contains most of the electronic circuits and a socket which the processor plugs into.
- V1.01 The original mainboard released in 2001. This board was only supplied in one group buy and is no longer produced.
- V2.2 This is a slightly altered version of the original mainboard and was released in 2002. It has since been superceeded by the v3.0 but is still in production due to user demand.
- V3.0 A complete redesign of the v2.2 board. It is the latest through-hole mainboard and is the recomended board for most installs.
- V3.57 This is an SMT, machine assembled version of the v3.0 mainboard.It is otherwise very much the same as the v3.0 aside from a few minor differences.
- Processor. This plugs into the mainboard and processes all of the data.
- MS1 The Original Motorolla/Freestyle 8-bit MC68HC908 8MHz Processor.
- MS2 This is a daughterboard which plugs into the mainboard to replace the processor. It contains a Freestyle 16-bit MC9S12C64 24MHz Processor, Stepper ISCV Driver, CAN tranciever, injector NAND gate and assosiated hardware.
- MS3 This is the latest Daughterboard and incorporates a freestyle 16-bit MC9S12XEP100 dual core (50 MHz and 100 MHz XGATE) processor. It also adds SD card datalogging, a usb interface and aditional inputs/outputs.
- Firmware. This is the code which runs on the processor.
- B&G Standard Bowling&Grippo firmware
- MSEXTRA Third party firmware. Adds a host of aditional features over the standard firmware and is the preferred option.
- Addon boards and Modifications. There are several different addon boards and common modifications to add additional functionality to the ecu.
- EDL Hex ignition driver board Adds up to 6 ignition coil drivers and a dedication ignition loom connector to a v2.2 or v3 megasquirt ecu. Compatible with ms1 and ms2.
- EDL MS1extra expansion board Plugs into a v3 MS1 megasquirt ecu and adds the following features: Dual differential adaptive VR decoders, 6 logic level ignition outputs, launch and table switching inputs, two 0-5v inputs, boost control output, radiator fan output and two configurable outputs.
- Zeal daughterboard wire-in expansion board which adds the following features: Dual 1815N VR decoders, 3 general purpose on/off outputs, pwm idle output and a 12v tach driver